Purpose

This blog was created to express my grief over the loss of my husband Tim. This blog is a place of expression and reflection as I continue to move on and journey through my grief and life in general. This blog will hopefully become more, but for now it is what it is.

Saturday, April 16, 2011

Something fun today

Today has been cold, windy, rainy with snow showers, overall a blah day.  Even though the weather wasn't great I still had a good day.  Today I did a few fun things and a few things I normally don't do.  Today  I went to the Isthmus Green Day - The People's Earth-Friendly Expo at Monona Terrace.  Now I am in now way super green or 100%  treat Mother Earth right ( I do what I can), so going to this, for those that know would would seem a bit out of character.  Well, once they hear the reason why I went, then they will understand. 

Today, the stars of Planet Green TV's series "The Fabulous Beekman Boys" were on hand to share their story about buying a farm, making goat cheese, and becoming farmers.  (Josh Kilmer-Purcell and Dr. Brent Ridge, a couple). Josh is an author, of three great, funny books and Dr. Ridge is the in-house health expert on the "The Martha Stewart Show'.  I went to get an autograph and too meet them (ok it helps that they are not only handsome, but very , very nice),

They gave a nice presentation and a good Q & A. The highlight was when they had the book signing after the presentation.  I was forth in line, with Josh's latest book in hand, The Bucolic Plague. I only wish I had thought to bring my camera!!  I was getting very, very nervous, as meeting new people, let alone famous new people, is something I don't usually do very well.  I am rather shy or uncomfortable in these situations.  They were very kind, and very polite.  The whole process only took a few minutes, but they made you feel like it was just the three of you for those few minutes.  josh recognized the book jacket from Insighout and they both asked how i was and I thanked them for sharing their lives on TV and in print. 

I was in no way the only Mo there, I was in very good company.  I walked around for a while, looked at few of the vendors and at a few of those in attendance,  and got some free stuff as well.  I was so glad I went, and was able to get my book signed and to meet Josh and Brent.  It was something, fun, something outside my comfort zone and something just for me.

I also had walked around the Capitol Square before the book signing.  I wanted to go to the first Farmer's market of the season, and beat the crowds that were planned for the Tea Party rally (with Sarah Palin- yippee) and the counter protest.  I truly do hope this is not going to be the norm this summer, with dueling protests during the Farmer's Market (FM) Its great to speak your mind, and while this does sound selfish, I don't want it messing my trips to the FM.  The crowds at the FM are big enough without a huge influx of protesters.

I also went to my favorite coffee house/restaurant, La Brioche on Univeristy Avenue. I had the same waitress as last Saturday and she recognized me.  I have been trying to go most every Saturday now, for some tea and a bit to eat and some sort of treat.  This is usually my one "cheat" or indulgence during the week.  I generally tow the healthy eating line most of the time otherwise.  This week, my indulgence was an oatmeal and raisin cookie, black bean and ham soup with bread and peppermint tea. I even wrote a bit in my journal while I enjoyed my leisurely meal. 

Today was a fun day for me, and i am really going to make an effort to have more of these days.  Tim's passing has made me aware of how fleeting life can be. and that one needs to take time the time to stop and smell the roses.  I have been looking at my life and have been wondering if I am doing what i really want to.  I am not going to quit work and fly off somewhere, but I will be taking vacations by myself now, volunteer more and find other hobbies pr ways to better enjoy the hobbies I already have. 

I have always enjoyed this quote form Mame (the Lucille Ball version, NOT the Rosalind Russel version- for those in the know you will get what i mean).  "Life is a banquet and most poor sons-a-bitches are starving to death".  Ok I may have not quoted it exactly but you get what I mean.  Don't be a gluten, but at least belly up to the buffet every so often.  Don't be afraid to have the chocolate, the salad, the good stuff and the bad stuff, as life is fleeting.  You only get one go around on the buffet of life, so make the most of it or get your monies worth.

Thank you

No comments:

Post a Comment