Purpose

This blog was created to express my grief over the loss of my husband Tim. This blog is a place of expression and reflection as I continue to move on and journey through my grief and life in general. This blog will hopefully become more, but for now it is what it is.

Wednesday, October 19, 2011

How can you mend a broken heart

The Bee Gees wrote this song and while I like their version, I enjoy Al Green's version more.  I have been thinking a lot about broken hearts and the mending of them.  I think in part due to ever so lovely fall weather, my mood has been rather glum.  The two funeral visitation in as many days probably didn't help either.  The sun comes up every day and the world continues to spin, whether you hurt or not.  Life has a funny way of going on that way.

The song basically asks, at least for me it does, how do I mend my broken heart when the world keeps moving on.  The song almost asks this as a rhetorical question, how does a heart mend, how do you stop the sun from shining, what makes the world go round.  Ultimately the singer looks beyond this, realizing again that life goes on and hopefully someone will come along and help mend the heart and live again.  While the realization that life goes on and things will get better, it doesn't always make it easier to get through the day and on to the next.  I know I will mend my heart someday and hopefully find another to love and be loved by.  I just have to keep pushing on, one day after the next until the heart is mended.

I have been thinking of Tim a lot the past few days, and to be honest, crying myself to sleep on a few occasions. The emotions sometimes remind me of the first weeks/months after his death.  I sort of imagined that as the one year anniversary grew closer, I would maybe have days like this.  Some of the memories are happy ones, they are not all sad moments.  The next two months have a lot  of anniversaries, our last Thanksgiving, the day he went to the hospital, the stroke, Christmas, 12/31.  I am not afraid or scared that these days are soon to arrive, I will take it day, each moment as it comes.  Those days may be ok, they may be really sad, but as i have said before, it is what it is (or it will be what it will be). 

I may not have magic wand or the magic lamp to mend my broken heart, and even if i did I am not sure I would use them.  While it may hurt, experiencing this loss and all its facets is not something one should wish away.  It helps one grow as a person and it is part of life, enjoyed or not.  My heart will mend someday and my world will be a better place for having mending it and having whole once again.




How Can You Mend A Broken Heart

Bary and Robin Gibb

I can think of younger days when living for my life
Was everything a man could want to do
I could never see tomorrow, but I was never told about the sorrow

And how can you mend a broken heart?
How can you stop the rain from falling down?
How can you stop the sun from shining?
What makes the world go round?
How can you mend this broken man?
How can a loser ever win?
Please help me mend my broken heart and let me live again

I can still feel the breeze that rustles through the trees
And misty memories of days gone by
We could never see tomorrow, no one said a word about the sorrow

And how can you mend a broken heart?
How can you stop the rain from falling down?
How can you stop the sun from shining?
What makes the world go round?
How can you mend this broken man?
How can a loser ever win?
Please help me mend my broken heart and let me live again

No comments:

Post a Comment