Purpose

This blog was created to express my grief over the loss of my husband Tim. This blog is a place of expression and reflection as I continue to move on and journey through my grief and life in general. This blog will hopefully become more, but for now it is what it is.

Saturday, October 22, 2011

The Journey/ The Dance

Today Tim was very heavy on my mind today.  In part due to the movie I saw today, 50/50 and due to a few conversations with my friend Sharon today while in Chicago for the day (her work sponsors a yearly  Magnificent Mile shopping trip).  Tim had gone with us three years ago, and as we generally go to the same places, I was once again reminded of him.  Seeing shopping bags from the Lego store, driving past the spot we waited for the return bus home and nearly froze to death, the Christmas ornaments at Crate & Barrel, all just a few reminders of him. 

There was a scene in the movie, where the main character Adam (Joseph Gordon-Levitt) who has a rare form of cancer, has a slight meltdown the day before surgery to remove the cancer.  He tells his therapist that he is "tired of being sick".  This struck a nerve as this is the very thing Tim had said a few times, the most memorable was about a month before he went to the hospital.  He had been having cluster migraines and this was the day after a particularly bad spell.  He started crying and repeated  a few times that he was tired of being sick.  I did my best to comfort him but words and hugs can only do so much.  Throughout the whole surgery montage, I was tearing up.  This just brought my thoughts of Tim to the forefront of my mind for the rest of the day. 

As I said in my last blog about mending my broken heart, this has been a rather rough week emotionally for me.  I was in a relative happy place there for a while but I think those days may have gone for a while, but I know they will come back.  These feelings of emotional frailty or susceptibility to tears has been just below the emotional surface for a few weeks now. Most days are fine in that I go to work, function, laugh, have happy thoughts...normal every day stuff, but like I said, emotional frailty is right their by my side.   I know it will get better, I tell myself that everyday.  I know that time will heal the wound of his loss, but that wound will never leave, I will just be better able to deal with it.

There is a song that in part relates to my feelings tonight as i write this blog, it is perhaps one of the most touching songs I know:


The Dance
Garth Brooks

Lookin' back on the memories of
the dance we shared beneath the stars above.
For a moment, all the world was right.
How could I've known that you'd ever say 'good bye?'

And now, I'm glad I didn't know the way it all would end
the way it all would go.
And our lives are better left to chance.
I could have missed the pain, but I'd've had to miss the dance.

Holdin' you, I've held everything.
For a moment, wasn't I the king?
But if I'd only known how the king would fall,
Hey, who's to say, you know, I might have changed it all.

And now, I'm glad I didn't know the way it all would end
the way it all would go.
And our lives are better left to chance.
I could have missed the pain, but I'd've had to miss the dance.

Yes, my life is better left to chance.
I could have missed the pain, but I'd've had to miss the dance.



The journey

 

No comments:

Post a Comment